Oxted & District History Society - Talk
Oxted & District History Society

Peter Jarvis, Vice-Chairman of the Society, gave an illustrated talk to the Oxted & District History Society on ‘The History of Trinity House’ , a charity which works to safeguard shipping and sailors, supports seafarers and is a General Lighthouse Authority.

Trinity House was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1514.  Originally operating mainly in the Thames estuary from the shipyard established by Henry VIII at Deptford, the work of Trinity House soon expanded.  It organised dredging and the supply of ballast to ships and the provision of pilots and buoys.  In the 19th Century, the role of Trinity House was greatly increased when it was given powers to acquire private lighthouses, rebuild them, provide lightships and procure high quality lights and machinery for lighthouses.  It also has a charitable arm, providing almshouses at Walmer and pensions to mariners and dependents in need.  Following the talk, members of the History Society enjoyed their Christmas party.


The History of Trinity House by Peter Jarvis