Oxted & District History Society - Talk
Oxted & District History Society
 
 

Christopher Pendred’s history of Weald Cottage (front cover) shows what can be discovered by researching material which is becoming ever more available to amateur historians. We understand that Chris is preparing to put his research onto a website.

Weald Cottage, at the top of Pains Hill, Limpsfield Chart, was originally Gibbs Farm, built in 1475 as a two-bay hall house. On the 1841 Tithe Map, the farm had an orchard producing apples for cider, five acres of hop fields with an Oast house, arable and pasture fields, and an ancient managed woodland, mainly of limes.

 

A Cottage in the Weald a talk by Christopher Pendred

Weald Cottage has been occupied by several weavers and tailors and a hemp-dresser. Hemp was grown and dressed to be sent to Chatham Dockyard for rope making. Christopher has re-discovered the original 15th Century well and two other wells dating from the 16th and 17th Centuries. The latter is intended for restoration this year.SP

The central hall of the house was open up to the roof, giving an effect of grandeur. Before the brick chimney was built in the 16th Century, the roof was vented at the gable end for the escape of smoke. Christopher bought the house in 1987 for his family. The late local historian, Kay Percy, kindled his interest in researching the history of the house.